CRA GST Notice : When you submit or file a GST/HST return, you will receive a GST/HST Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This CRA Notice shows how your return was assessed and the timeframe it was processed within.
Additionally, you will receive a GST/HST notice which provides further information about your return. The CRA GST Notice will inform you about your zero balance, an outstanding amount, or a refund. The CRA conducted a focus group to understand why some taxpayers choose not to read their CRA notices and letters.
Here, you will find information about what a CRA GST Notice is, why you received it, and what you should know about CRA notices. The mistakes on your tax files also appear on the assessment. The individual can receive their notice after 10 to 12 days of their filed return. This CRA GST Notice is provided in the taxpayer’s mail.
CRA GST Notice Overview
|Canada Revenue Agency
|CRA GST Notice
|Providing tax assessment details of the taxpayers
|14 to 28 days
|Raise objection time
|Within 90 days
|Mail or CRA Portal
What does a CRA GST Notice mean ?
- GST/HST credits known as Tax-free quarterly payments help low- and middle-income Canadians to recover some of the sales tax they pay on goods and services.
- After that, you will receive your refund when the CRA sends you a tax/VAT invoice.
- If you are a business owner, you should pay attention to GST/HST announcements.
- After you file your tax return, the CRA will give you this document to let you know if you qualify for a refund, a credit, or both.
CRA notice of assessment
- The CRA Notice of Assessment which is sent by the CRA to the Canadian Taxpayers which provides the details on the income tax amount they owe.
- The CRA Assessment Notice includes the amount of the tax refund, tax credit and the income tax which has been already paid.
- The lists of deductions from income tax, non-refundable federal tax credit and other details.
- The NOA is a Government issued estimate of the taxes that are owed for a given year.
- NOA may also provide the intimation that a business or individual has been recognized for a tax audit
Why you are receiving the CRA GST Notice ?
- If you receive a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about your income tax return, there’s no need to worry.
- It’s usually just a routine check to verify the accuracy of the information you provide.
- The CRA regularly reviews tax returns to ensure that credits, deductions, and income amounts are reported correctly and can be supported if needed.
- In addition to tax returns, the notice functions as a verification of the taxpayer’s eligibility for the taxes owed to the CRA.
- It also serves as an acknowledgment from the CRA that your tax return has been received.
- The GST notice is a concise document that provides an overview of the taxpayer’s T1 form.
- This form is divided into four sections, including an Account summary that provides information on your tax refund amount, tax balance, CRA balance owed, unpaid taxes, and more.
- The Tax Assessment summary lists the assessed tax returns. Each part of this section includes the specific amount that the taxpayer can compare to their sum, as well as any penalties and interest owed on their taxes.
Is it necessary for register for a GST account in Canada ?
- In Canada, except for small suppliers, all businesses are obligated to have a GST account.
- According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you must open a GST account, if your company’s taxable income before expenses exceeded CAD 30,000 in the previous four quarters.
- As soon as their taxable revenue surpasses CAD 50,000 before expenses, Public service entities such as hospitals, colleges, charities, and non-profits must register for a GST account.
- Any company that meets the criteria for taxable income must register and charge GST/HST for the year in which the sales amount is reached.
- Companies with annual sales below CAD 30,000 have the option to GST/HST Register to get the benefit from input tax credits as a deduction.
How to Get Copy Of CRA Assessment Notice ?
- Once you file your income taxes, you will be granted a CRA NOA.
- Those who have filed returns through electronic mode will receive the CRA assessment notice within 14 days.
- If the traditional mail method was used to file a tax return, it can usually take 28 days for you to receive the NOA.
- Anyone can get a copy of the assessment from the My Account portal.
- A physical copy of NOA can be obtained through registered mail.
Details mention on CRA Assessment Notice
The following details must be checked on the CRA Note of Assessment.
- Account Summary : on the top of the NOA there will be the Account Summary which includes the details on the total amount that you owe, zero balance if you have or the total refund you will get.
- Tax Assessment SUMMARY which includes credits, deductions and income.
- This also includes the interest or penalties that get added to your refund. If there is any balance of the last year, it will also be shown in this section.
- Changes Explanation : This section will provide the details on when the person will be eligible to get the Canada Child Benefit along with the GST/HST credits.
- Additional Information: it includes the remaining balances or the reimbursement amount of the previous years. Any other additional information that must be maintained as a record must be given in the CRA Assessment Notice.
CRA Objection Notice
If an individual is not satisfied with the CRA assessment notice, citizens have the option to object to the NOA. The first step to be followed is to contact the CRA and discuss the situation and know if the situation can be resolved easily.
If things are not resolved in this matter, then a CRA notice of objection can be easily filed. The deadlines for filing the CRA Notice of Objection are as follows:
- One year after the last date for filing tax returns.
- 90 days after the evaluation notice is mailed.
The following type of Objections can be filed in case of disagreement in the Tax Returns :-
- Income tax
- Ontario Corporation Tax
- Canada Pension Scheme and Employment Insurance
- Excise and special levies
- Registered Savings Plan
- Underutilized residence tax
FAQ’s : CRA GST Notice
What is CRA GST Notice ?
The CRA GST notice is a document sent to the taxpayers to provide them with the notice that their tax has been received by CRA.
How can the taxpayer get the CRA GST Notice ?
The taxpayer can obtain the CRA GST Notice via the CRA MyAccount Portal or the registered mail.
Within how many days one can receive the CRA GST Notice ?
The individuals can get the CRA GST Notice of Assessment within 14 days if they have filed the return electronically or 28 days in case they have filed the return via Mail.
What details are to be checked on the CRA GST Notice ?
The details like Account Summary, Tax Assessment Summary and other details are to be checked on the CRA GST Notice.
What steps should I take if I identify anomalies in my CRA GST notice ?
Taxpayers have a three-month window to contest any anomalies discovered in their CRA GST notice.