CBSE Budding Authors Program: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has launched a creative writing competition as ‘CBSE Reading Mission’. The initiative aims to encourage school students to delve deeper into the art of storytelling. It is a two-tier program, recognized as the ‘CBSE Budding Authors Program’. In the starting phase, the school will conduct a CBSE Budding Authors Program competition at the school level the winner of the competition will be sent to the further level of the competition, and selected students will submit their entries to the board for further evaluation
The objective of the CBSE Budding Authors Program
CBSE Reading Mission, part of the CBSE Budding Authors Program, aims to ignite the creative spirit in students, inspiring them to explore the art of storytelling. By writing and submitting short stories under this program, students get an exciting opportunity to express their imagination and ideas, as a result, they also get a chance to see their work published. This enriching experience not only improves their writing abilities but also nurtures their self-confidence and self-disclosure. CBSE Budding Authors Program aims to provide a platform for students to be able to read and write different types of stories. Under this program, students will get an opportunity to express their creativity by writing and submitting short stories and get a chance to get published.
Students work will be published
CBSE Budding Authors Program aims to introduce students to different types of stories and develop effective writing skills in them. The Board has also ensured that the participating students will not only get a chance to showcase their creativity but will also get a chance to see their work published
Levels of the CBSE Budding Authors Program competition
There are three levels in the competition. Detailed information about the CBSE Budding Writers program is given below.
Introductory level: The introductory level is open to students of classes 5 to 6 with a word limit of 500-600 words.
Second level: The second level is designed for classes 7 to 8, with entries expected to be within the range of 600-900 words.
Third level: The third level is specifically for students in classes 9 to 10, with the word limit set between 1,000 and 1,500 words.
There are a total of three categories for the students to submit their stories. Categories are given below.
|Category||Class of the student||The word limit of the story|
|1st||Class 5 to 6||500-600 words|
|2nd||Class 7 to 8||600-900 words|
|3rd||Class 9 to 10||1000-1500 words|
The first phase of the CBSE Budding Authors Program
First phase: Organizing the program at the school level
Timeline of the competition 10th to 30th November 2023
- Schools will organize the first phase in Vidyalaya, where students will create and write short stories in either English or Hindi.
- Schools are required to give students one week to study extensively and prepare for the “Big Writer’s Program.” Some suggestions for writing are given in Annexure I. These can be shared with students.
- Schools will have to complete an evaluation process of the student’s stories in the given time period. The school will select 2 students for the next round of the Programme.
Step 2: Creation, presentation, and submission of stories
Timeline: 1stDecember, 2023 –15thJanuary, 2024
- Schools will have to register the selected students (2 winners per category) for the second phase of the CBSE Budding Authors Program on the link given on the CBSE Academic website https://cbseacademic.nic.in/. Nodal teachers can facilitate registration of students (maximum 6 students per school).
- Every registered student will get a unique login ID and password from the CBSE, by using this unique ID students can log in on the Budding Authors Portal in the final registration list. The school will share this unique ID and password with every student registered per phase. Students will use this as login credentials, to write stories and submit them to technology platforms.
- The link to write and submit stories will be available on the CBSE Academic website under CBSE Reading Mission. During – December 26 to January 15, 2024.
- Students can develop, edit, and finally submit their stories by January 15, 2024.
- All those students who successfully submit their composed story in this stage will receive an online participation certificate on the school email ID.
Step 3:Evaluation and publication
- The phase one entries submitted by the students will be evaluated by a panel of experts.
- Selected entries of each category will get access to edit their stories so that they can improve their stories before the final evaluation
- The best entries selected at the national level will be published by CBSE in the form of a collection of stories for each category.
Why children should write the stories
Storywriting is one of the best mind-boosting exercises for growing children, it improves the children’s cognition ability, and it improves the thinking ability of the children. Through story writing, children can improve their writing skills and reading skills. And it gives a joyful feeling to the children, that’s why writing is very important for children at their early stage of development